Tuesday, February 27, 2007

MSNtiquette

I can't help it. I have possibly the worst MSN-manners on my contact list. My friends who I speak to regularly follow perfect chat protocol. So, I have decided to compile a couple of MSNetiquette guidelines that I have tried to pick up.

1. Greetings
Saying 'Hi!' and/or 'How are you?' does wonders for the convo. Once you've gone through the normal greetings and niceties that you would if you were speaking face to face, you're both on equal ground. Always a good thing.

2. Don't overdo the..er.... you know.. speaking out loud..and typing...with loads of those little things that are meant to end a sentence.
Annoying aint it?? If you can't help yourself from hitting those lovely little convo fillers, either find something to talk about or gaffa-tape your little finger to its happy little letter-hitting neighbour.

3. In da same way, speakin laik dis either makes u sound laik a 12 yr old askin a/s/l or sumwun wif a speech impediment. N even if u did, ders no escuse 4 bad spellin. ait?

4. The 'away' sign. Use it! I'm really bad at this as I: a. have fallen asleep at my desk, or b. have gone 'oh sod it', shut the laptop lid and wandered off groggy eyed to bed, or c. in the process of doing both a. and b. Leaving me with a couple of unfinished convos come morning. Note to self: its annoying for everyone else so don't forget to switch off!

5. Let me demonstrate. lol

(mid convo)
Me: so I was stranded!
Mo: hahahahahahaha
Me: and I had to ring Fo to pick me up!
Mo: huhuhuhuh
Me: but guess what Fo was doing.
Mo: dunno.lol
Me: Fo was stranded too.
Mo: huhuhuhuhuhhaohaohaohaohaohaoah

'hahaha' or any of its similar sounding cousins don't always make for a good reply.

6. having two convos at the same time. i know you're sat there. makes things confusing. watching that little line at the bottom. so you can't follow whats going on. that says so-and-so is typing. and there's no point to the conversation. but reply anyway as fast as your fingers can fly over those keys. and you quite often forget what you were talking about in the first place.
(again- guilty!)

7. If you've got a '...' that becomes lit up and bouncy everytime you type it in or a 'hahahehe' that does the same. Its quite likely to get really annoying if you are guilty of points 2 and 5.

So... dats all iv got 4 now...lol...goin off to bed now cos im sleepie..herez a *cute emoticon for you cos wheneva i typ in tings dat r suppose 2 end in 'y'...erm.. i dunno. sounds kinda cute and cuddlie and stuff. xxcutebunnie ahaks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What in billions of blue blistering barnacles is 'ahaks'. I've seen locals and Malaysians use it for 5 years, and I still don't know what it's supposed to be/refer to. Is it someone with dahak tersangkut in their leher? Is it a form of agreement? WHAT IS IT?

Fuck's sake. Now I'm gonna go to bed all pissed off 'cos I don't know what something means again. Thanks, Wid. Thanks muchly. x

p/s: what I hate the most is when you're in the middle of a conversation, and your computer starts lagging for no apparent reason! And by the time you paddle it back to normality, the other party got bored and decided to put the 'away' button to good use. (;

February 28, 2007 6:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home