Saturday, January 27, 2007

January

Its been a while since I've last written a post beause in truth I'm struggling seeing this month through as it is. Everyone knows that January is the longest month in the year and quite frankly I've had enough of it. The weather is erratic, the work load three-folds, you and everyone else is desperately trying to shift that holiday weight you've all gained so the gym where you used to go to work off the steam from sitting at your desk is crammed and you can't help but think you're breathing in all the mince pies and gravy in the air that everyone's over-consumed and you can't stand going shopping as the whole of the high street and beyond looks like a bad car boot sale with even respectible shops flagging their lime green knobbly jumpers at slashed prices.

I generally don't like starting things in January but this time I made an exception and applied for a job. I'm only there two days a week and so far nothing major has happened and I'm very much the newbie. Still, the girls are very welcoming and there is no cattyness despite the workplace being made up of entirely women staff. In my experience, and not saying that its all that much experience but my own nonetheless, I've found women in the workplace to get along better than their male co-wokers. Perhaps its the profession but in many cases, the men come along with disproportionately large egos and so the eternal jostle for the alpha-male role begins.
Still, my time there is still at the beginning stages and I'm hoping to settle quickly. It helps a lot that most of the ladies are originally from the West Indies or have family there, and that the parallells between our cultures are astonishing. From that blue stuff you used to add to your school whites to keep them bright to being voodoo-ed or vexed at weddings.

Ah well, just a few more days to go. February, you can't come soon enough. xxw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home