Thursday, November 02, 2006

Widarchitect does Norfolk Square

Headed over to Brunei Hall today as I had urusan there to take care of. I was ready for the worst as every time I appear in the reception I either get ignored by staff or asked whether I'm Bruneian. The former reaction not being anything to gripe about, after all, London has 7,465,100 non Bruneians.

To my surprise my smile this morning was met with another one and I was politely directed to the person whom I had to speak with. Meanwhile I sat waiting to speak to the cikgu and found there weren't any stares, or questions whispered as to who I was or what I was doing there.

My cousins used to live in Brunei Hall, so it isn't wholly foreign ground for me. Having them there though, heightened my credibility and allowed me to come and go as I needed without question. However today, as I was stuck on the ground floor I was left scanning the walls for directions to the loo and with only 5 minutes free I was going a little spare. I asked one of the girls I half recognized and she pointed out the directions for the loo. Save.

Later on as I was leaving, I heard a 'Widari?? Is that you?' Shikin, a girl from school recognized me - as an obvious tourist in the place now - and asked what was up. My cousin did the same thing too as well as he was heading out. Wah... famous eh.

I used to hate the idea of Brunei Hall, with its cliques and rules of social conduct. I hated the fact that I couldn't disappear into the crowd and that everyone knew everyone and their dog (or perhaps cat in this case). After today though, I finally get it. Sometimes its nice to come back to a little piece of home in a big city. xxw

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh myy, spent my one good year during my finals staying at bruhall. i hated it, especially those cliques and the ones who like to STARE alot,and those who STARE as if they owned the whole building to themselves!arghhh, but it gets into the whole love and hate relationship sometimes,at times its nice to know that the one you need are within reach,plus the place is cheap, hahaa, thats what that matters actually!but now having myself back in brunei for good, i find myself missing my used-to-be 2nd home soo much...=/

November 02, 2006 9:21 pm  
Blogger emily.loves.bryan said...

Wid, awuuu benar tu. I never enjoy stopping in BH. Unfortunately, the only place close to Padd Stn without having to drag my luggage all the way to the airport when I can check-in di Padd Stn itself. But thinking about it, it's the only place in London that you can get cheap food and cheap *when desperate* place to stay, as noted by SZA. Even Clare came to stay with me in BH once. *hahha*

November 03, 2006 3:15 am  
Blogger Widarchitect said...

sza:the STARING is the thing that gets to me/everyone else the most. I think the layout doesn't help at all. My cousin who lived there for ages is still really good friends with her BH 'geng' which is fantastic. A place for friends for life and a place to know which ones aren't! AS for missing the place I wouldn't worry - you can come visit again any time I'm sure.. the place is eternal, frozen in the moment and neverchanging!

by4888: The location is fantastic! I took the bus from there back to uni and i was amazed at how close it was... On another note, I haven't had the food back there in a while. Don't think I'll be going there on my own though! I have 'tourist' marked all over me. p.s when are you coming to visit :D ? january sales are callingggggg... mwah ;) xxw

November 03, 2006 4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home