Thursday, October 26, 2006

Library Chic

My week generally goes like this:

Tuesday: reviews/crits at 2 so sleep in until 10 resulting in 3 hours of sleep and four hours of talking from 2.
Wednesday: relax a little but get stuff done that has been neglected and begin work for Friday.
Thursday: work ass off for review on Friday
Friday: reviews/crits at 10, leave uni after lunch and take the rest of the afternoon off.
Saturday: begin work for Tuesday's review, and if there isn't too much to do, go out (rarely!) - or in some cases go out anyway and pay back for it on Sunday.
Sunday: work for Tuesday's review
Monday: continue work for Tuesday's review into the small hours of Tuesday.

So yeah.. Nothing too new/exciting for a university student but that's my general routine.
This week I've spent a little extra time in the library since Tuesday's review. As with the workshop the library isn't such a different place. Except the codes of conduct are far more strict although there is no danger of losing a limb.

Our library has three floors, getting progressively quieter the further up the stairs you go. The levels of hierarchy are not so obvious the first few times you go in although you begin to get the pattern and stay in your designated area.

1st floor: the computer users and groups. Dresscode: trendy, ghetto fabulous.

2nd floor: 'silent' study. Still very busy and impossible to find a seat. Dresscode: geek chic. Glasses optional although always perched on top of strawberry blonded hair. Rude boys and slick chicks made to go downstairs. These guys are a little more serious.. but has to let everyone else know about it.

3rd floor: quiet, research students, mature students and masters students. Dresscode: none. Comfort for most, although noisy clothing - this includes: heels, shell suits, jewelry, velcro etc will get you the evils from those around you. Here, talking/phone vibrating/ruffling/sneezing may lead to public stoning so beware.

I usually hide up on the 3rd floor, as that's where the architecture books are. So perched quietly in the corner I take out my papers and a couple of pens, the ruffles from my bag beginning to annoy the guy opposite me who obviously takes himself very seriously as he shoots me a look over his glasses. Strike one, newbie.

On the day I had my regular 'the weather is doing weird things so I'm going to get away with loads of layers' on which involved my favorite comfy dress over leggings, boots, long cardi, scarf followed by my faithful trench coat (as it was raining) and two bags. An outfit I figured was 'quiet' enough for the top floor until when I got up to get some books I heard it.

Click. Squeak. Click. Squeak.


Oh great, I thought. My boots have decided to start squeaking- again. So as I clip clopped squeak squeaking I tried to step on my left and tip toe on my right, then step on my right and tip toe on my left- only to catch a glimpse of my reflection and realise how ridiculous I looked. As though taken straight out of an amateur dramatics panto. Right, back to clicking and squeaking.

I headed back to my pew armed with my entire reading list as I didn't want a repeat performance. Established the pages to photocopy, I headed downstairs to the copying machine. Its okay to squeak on the first floor.

Upon survival from a near fist fight with an obnoxious lady about the photocopying que (its a jungle out there! Only the fittest survive. Or in this case, get to use the two of five copiers that are working). I gathered my things and headed back upstairs leaving the brawling and clanging of gold chains downstairs. I had begun to think that upstairs was more of a haven in comparison and the rules set in place to filter out the unwanted, argumentative, Neanderthals what with their hairy hands and penchant for bling.

So as I sat in a mouse-like state of quietness I enjoyed a couple hours of reading and research, hoping to make it my permanent place in the library. Mr.Serious opposite gave me an approving nod goodbye as he left as though to say 'goodbye young one, you are one of us now. nano-nano.'

Now with the library and workshop down, I think I can now say that I understand the system in my new University, its social hierarchies and codes of conduct. Its not such a scarey place after all. xxw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home