Friday, October 13, 2006

Frieze Art Fair 06


Sign outside the fair Posted by Picasa

The Frieze Art fair opened last night to an amazing reception. Stories in the paper show us glamourous photos of Kate and and her daughter Lila Grace at the show. In fact, I was there. Well.. it felt like I was there since the strobe lights from the opening I saw from my window. Daydreaming that I was there on the red carpet 'talking art/arse' because it is really so crass isn't it? hurrah for hoi polloi.

So today after a few errands I thought to stop by on the way home since the park is so close to the house and saturday would be swarming with people. Since getting there well into the afternoon we figured that if we bought our tickets we wouldn't have been able to see everything by closing time so planned to come back tomorrow. Instead we took a wonder down the (free!) sculpture park.


close up - acrylic on grass Posted by Picasa

Unfortunately I didn't get the name of this artist so if anyone knows please let me know! They had formed some flouro acrylic and laid it on the grass.. Because of the nature of the material it glowed brightly in the mid-afternoon sun which looked brilliant.


Tom Claassen Two Rabbits 2004 Posted by Picasa

AAhh! How cute you must be thinking! These ones were lovely too.. far more tactile than the other ones in the park as there weren't no-touching signs like the other ones. After all, how can you resist these shiney happy bunnies?


Kenny Scharf Madgladtree 2005 Posted by Picasa

I think I took this photo because I loved the name of the piece. I think there should be a song after the Madgladtree.


finished! finally! Posted by Picasa

Getting home, had my dinner and finally finished this drawing I've been working on... I had to leave it a while since being bombarded with yet more work... I would have liked to have worked more on this one although time constraints and briefs don't allow me to. :(


L.W.Bahrin. Close up - left vs. right Posted by Picasa

Small close up. The brief was to trace a routine. This small part shows me deciding what clothes to wear, putting on some slap and smelling the lovely coffee aroma from the kitchen.

So after a decidedly arty 24 hours I'm feeling a little inspired if a little envious of all the artists out there so happily practicing their art. It boils down to feeling constrained this week because instead of being allowed to go with the flow - have been told that I should be trying to fit into a certain type of presentation/thinking when I am none of those things.

As I sat on the crit panel for a third year project on a part of London my tutor goes to me - 'see that's the kind of mapping presentation I want to see.' Looking back to the panels I see the beenanddone dots on a page and coloured lines jobby. Surely doing all that stuff again would be going backwards. So what do I do? bollocks to that, I say. xxw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home