Monday, November 27, 2006

A Ma Soeur

From the cover you get one or all of three things:
1. French Film
2. About Love
3. That won a couple of awards

I too had made the same conclusion and took out A Ma Soeur, which appeared to be some girly story about young experimental love. Kyle was going out so I figured I'd stay at home and watch a film he'd hate. As you do.

The film is by Catherine Brelliat (I know! Again!) who also did Anatomy of Hell and appears in The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes. I had found her inspiring and strangely beautiful - you have to look past the scene where she exposes a hairy armpit in Anatomy of Hell to see it, but its there, I swear! - so I figured, hey why not?

Having seen the other two films, I had high hopes for this one. Sadly, the movie lacked both the flair I saw in Piano Tuner and provocative storyline from Anatomy of Hell. The romance between the two young characters left little to the imagination and remained as predictable as a cold bath in the middle of winter. The younger sister character who looks up to her more attractive slightly older sister who is more experimental in her endeavours perhaps touched a nerve in me and reminded me of chubbier, awkward, teenage days.

The film grazes through the issues wanting to be addressed with little finesse and the dialogue is uncomfortable at best. You get to the end still hoping something will happen only to be shocked by an abrupt halt to the film.

Disappointed with my first choice, I didn't feel like watching another film that night so hopefully my second choice Bella Martha won't be as painful to watch. xxw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home