Monday, November 20, 2006

Fruit Machine

My gym time on Sundays is the same routine as any other time on the week only I indulge myself and spend a little extra time in the sauna, when normally I'd just go home after the workout. In Brunei this was the same, although I never felt the need to rush since I would go around 5-6.30pm on a weekday, take my time with the machines, generally treat the place like it was my own.

My gym has a shared steam room, sauna, and aromatherapy room. Lunch time on Sundays is quite a quiet time for the gym so I'm usually on my own although you get the odd other person who comes in and quietly sits on the other side of the steam room. This, I like. You mind your own sweaty business, and I'll mind mine thank you. A previous nasty experience which I won't elaborate on has made me a little suspicious of men who come into the steam room and try to talk. Full stop.

Imagine my annoyance as this guy walks in, plonks himself directly opposite me (I could hear him, and see his silhouette), moves to the same bench as me then starts up a convo. I mumble a reply but generally keep to myself because I'm not the type to chat a lot in a room full of steam where I can't see your face. Its not so strange for me to feel this way, is it? A moment later I realise this guy is eating. Eating in the sauna? Okay, I can understand its cold outside and you might like your food to stay hot but this is taking it a little far, no? So I decide to say:

Me: I didn't have my breakfast either but I was going to wait until I got home.
Guy: (big laugh that fills the tiny room) I know, I know.. its a little weird.
Me: a little, yes.
Guy: See I have this thing, about eating fruit.
Me: you're eating fruit?
FruitGuy: Yeah, so I can have my five servings of fruit a day. I stop at the shop on the way to the gym, get them to chuck it in the freezer, then when I'm done take it in here.
Me: but in here...?
FruitGuy: I know what you're thinkin, but cos its so hot in here and I'm eating almost frozen fruit - is a real buzz. Now don't you go stealing my idea.

I like to experiment with my food, but something tells me I'm not going to be trying this one soon. Then again, a hot bag of chips while you're walking home at 4am is well nice. xxw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home